By Geo Espinosa, ND, LAc, CNS – The Integrative Urology Center
Prostate cancer (CaP) is a leading cancer among men. You may be familiar with the statistics, but what you probably don’t know is that using naturopathic methods can increase the chances of better recovery among CaP sufferers and slow it progression.
Here are 6 quick things a CaP patient should consider:
- Antioxidant intake – Antioxidants are substances that prevent damage to cells caused by free radicals. Free radicals basically steal electrons from other cells in effort to heal themselves, ultimately creating new free radicals in the process. By stealing electrons, it can cause damage to DNA, leading to the possible development of cancer. Try following a plant-based diet, consuming three to six servings of lightly steamed or raw fruits and vegetables. The vegetables and fruits more likely to be beneficial are the greens and all berries. In addition, supplementation of Coenzyme Q10, Lipoic acid, vitamin E (with adequate levels of gamma tocopherol) and C can all be helpful and all should be taken for synergistic value.
- Reduce systemic inflammation - Inflammation has been shown to contribute to cancer and heart disease. Foods that contribute to inflammation include: non-organic, non-grass-fed meats, hydrogenated oils (fried foods, some baking goods, most junk foods), simple sugars and sometimes dairy and wheat. Herbal and nutritional supplements that can help minimize inflammation include; quercetin, omega 3 fatty acids (fish oils), curcumin from the spice turmeric, and boswellia.
- Detoxification – deep in our tissues we store toxins that can interfere with our ability to heal. Old and new toxins should be let out from our bodies in a balanced way without inducing any damage. Removing toxins from our bodies can be accomplished by optimal nourishment, sweating, regular bowel movements, mild exercise, and herbs that assist in liver health: milk thistle, artichoke leaf and dandelion root. A naturopathic physician should be sought out for proper guidance in detoxifying.
- Limit exposure to environmental toxins that contribute to CaP progression:
- Consuming or working with foods contaminated with pesticides.
- Cadmium – highest levels caused by cigarette smoking and some occupational exposures such as welders, metal workers, or those who make cadmium products such as batteries or plastics.
- Meat consumption seems to contribute to CaP, although the use of organic, grass-fed meats has never been looked at objectively.
- Bisphosphenal A – an “environmental estrogen,” bisphenol A is found in polycarbonate plastic and dental sealants to which the general population is exposed at low levels. Bisphenol A can also be found in farm-raised fish.
- Cancer therapies like chemotherapy severely weaken the immune system. A plant-based diet consisting of mostly whole grains, fruits, nuts and vegetables contains essential immune boosting nutrients. Some supplements include: vitamin C, zinc, Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC) – an extract from some mushrooms, inosital hexophosphate with inosital (IP6), and the herb astragalus.
Proper protein consumption is also important for healthy immunity and to properly sustain adequate weight.
- Consume cancer killing substances – some natural chemicals have shown to inhibit cancer cells, induce cell death (apoptosis), or inhibit metastasis include: curcumin from the spice tumeric, vitamin D, maitaike mushrooms (Ganoderma lucidum), and Modified Citrus Pectin (MCP).
For more information on managing prostate cancer naturally, see a naturopathic physician. Click here to find one in your area.